Search This Blog

Monday, November 20, 2017

Story - Fireman - FamilySearch.org

http://ift.tt/2mJZMln

“I was fireman and usually oiled all the machinery before starting to run [turn on the motor that operates the large, circular saw blade]. This task I had almost finished, except the oil cups around the saw cab, before we went to dinner. Bill returned just before I did – turned on the power and had gone some little distance away for something. I hurriedly took the oiler so that I might finish before the other hands came to work. This I did without turning off the power, and while reaching way over to get the last bearing, some part of my clothing must have caught the set screw in one of the large collars on the 12 ft. steel shaft. At any rate I felt myself caught and whirled rapidly around for a time --- then I must have lost consciousness, and when I came to I was in a stationary position, lying on my back, crosswise of this rapidly revolving shaft. I was in great pain and began call to Will to stop the mill --- but before he reached the engine I was thrown a considerable distance from the mill, landing in a pile of sawdust. Bill came and helped me up. I had no clothes on except my shoes and part of my socks. Coming later to the shaft, I found my [Temple] garments wrapped as neatly around it as one might wind a bobbin. Removing them from the shaft I found they were not badly torn or damaged, but with a little mending they were wearable. My shirt and trousers were so badly cut to pieces, nothing could be done with them. I was not seriously injured, though greatly bruised and shocked. I have no explanation as to how this last mentioned came about, but I know again that divine providence was with me.”
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

the C2 wiki.

I feel like I keep returning to the same types of projects.  Right now I'm collecting, editing and publishing historical rhetoric texts ...